Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sara: Supermom, Superwife, Superwoman!



















On this, my first official Father's Day, I'd like to pay tribute to Sara, an extraordinary woman and the love of my life.

Marriage has a funny way of allowing you to fall in love with the same person so many times and in so many ways. When I first met her, I loved Sara for her independent, free-spirited nature, which was a stark contrast to my traditional, conservative, dull self. She was daring (evidenced by committing to a life next to me), full of life.

At BYU and beyond, I saw her evolve to take on her new role as wife and student head on. She has the flexibility to adapt to new challenges without compromising the traits and characteristics that make her unique. She went from wanting to study horticulture, to sociology, and eventually settling with economics. Those of you who battled your way through Econ 110 like myself will know that was no small feat.

As we struggled with the challenge of wanting to start a family, through each disappointment, even when I was ready to give up for a while, she never once hung her head in defeat. Her calculating nature combined with a "never-say-die" attitude kept her from giving up on that goal.

Since Lucy and Audrey came into our lives, Sara has taken on yet another role, the most important she'll ever undertake. The maternal instincts she has developed almost from night to day have me falling in love with another facet of Sara I didn't know existed. As a new mother of twins she has risen to the challenge yet again and has surprised us all. Her resiliency has helped her weather the storms of extreme fatigue and sleelplessness while giving Audrey and Lucy the love and protection that makes them light up when she walks in the room.

Through it all she has made me one very lucky dad, a role that still seems too big for me to fill. I'm lucky to have her example inspire me to do my best.

5 comments:

WF said...

sniff, sniff. what wonderful things to share about sara!

Sara G said...

umm, I was planning on posting about German (after all it is Father's Day), but I think he was feeling sorry for me because I am a little sick today. While I was napping he wrote this. Sorry to all those people out there (Ally) who may have started to gag while reading this ;)

William Qian said...

Beautiful post. You guys are a sweet, amazing family and it is fun to watch you. Can't wait to see you next month!

Ally said...

hehe...just saw your note. Luckily, I did not gag while reading the post. It was sincere, and I liked it. If he would've gone on and on about your hot bod or something, it would be a different story. :)

Anonymous said...

Sara & German,
You are both amazing individuals!! I love you tons and I am so proud of you both. Sara, from climbing Timp to graduating from BYU, to now being a mother of twins, you continue to shine. You are a bright light in my life. German, from the first time I met you, I knew Sara had met her match. Thank you for your strength and love. Lucy and Audrey are blessed to have such a wonderful mommy and daddy. Loved the sweet thoughts about Sara Bera.
Mom XXXXOOOO