Monday, February 01, 2010

My story...Part 2 of 4

Argentina was and is the most beautiful country I've ever visited. Nevermind that I've only visited seven or so other countries, to me Argentina will always be numero uno! Luckily, I did write alot in my journal as a missionary, so I won't go into much detail here. I mostly wanted to show how I entered the MTC still thinking of how fun and how cool a mission would be. I tried to wear 'cool' missionary attire and continued to flex my muscles in most of my pictures. I even made some of my sweet (and beautiful) companions/neighbors flex for pics as well. I was such a dork.
S. Peterson, S. Crawford, S. Tanner, me, S. Oyler & S. Jensen

Each of the pictures below has a story and/or explanation, again I won't share it now, but they all show just how much of a punk I was. Except the bottom left photo which is by far my favorite moment from the MTC. I am sooo glad I wasn't flexing or giving a thumbs up sign or something ridiculous like that, although I'm pretty sure I thought about it.
I even made the elders flex...so dumb.

Thankfully, once in Argentina I started making some attitude adjustments. My trainer exuded a love for the Savior and for missionary work. She was a convert to the church and knew why she was out serving the Lord, eventually she got sick of my punkness. With lots of patience and love she helped me to realize I needed to figure out why I was there. After alot of praying, fasting and testifying, I finally grew to not just believe what I had been taught my entire life, but know it with a deep conviction. I was sent to Argentina to teach others about Jesus Christ and invite them to pray and find out for themselves if what we taught them was true. I am so glad I learned this early on in my mission and am thankful I had a trainer who was so instrumental in changing my perspective. Thanks Clau!

Hermana Ferreira and I after an argument about how selfish I was behaving. I cried and cried realizing she was right...(can you say puffy eyes?)

This was taken about six months later in another area. Don't I finally look like a real sister missionary? And look I am wearing a jumper dress, a sign of a true sister missionary! So happy and lovin' life.

Through numerous growth experiences and working alongside other amazing companions, I returned home in November 2000 a different person. (of course I still had other issues, but who doesn't?) Two months later I visited my brother in sunny San Diego. I remember borrowing his bike and going for a ride. It was such a beautiful and warm day and it was JANUARY! I decided I just had to live there, so I packed up my things and a few weeks later moved to the most beautiful city in the USA (at least I think so). I had plans to work full-time for a year, save up money, gain residency and go to college for real this time. But a few months later those plans were changed.

Part 3 will be tomorrow...and I guess it is now going to have to be a 4 part series.


P.S. Missionaries didn't ride bikes in my mission. We walked and used the transit system, but I missed biking alot and whenever I could I'd hop on one...

...dress and all.

3 comments:

The Qian Family said...

Oooohhh, I love this new direction! Absolutely we should learn something about the Mommy of the 3 girls! I loved this post. Keep 'em coming!

Jamie and Erin said...

Aaaaah! The mission! I quickly stopped wearing the missionary jumper dress as soon as someone asked me when my baby was due. Ugh! Not a good thing for a missionary! I met Elder Scott on my mission, too! He served his in Uruguay! I love to hear him speak in Spanish! So fun to read about your mission!

Jamie and Erin said...

And I put waaaay to many exclamation points in my last comment!!!!