I love nursing! It's been a four month struggle, but so worth it. Here's my long tale...I always wanted to breastfeed, but I'd heard of its difficulties and if I couldn't, I couldn't. Although, I was determined to try my darndest! I read everything I could find, took a breastfeeding class, and purchased this twin nursing pillow. Then the girls were born. The lactation nurse visited me just hours after, advised me to use the hospital pump at least three times a day and assured me I'd be able to nurse my twins. I was exhausted, but did as I was told. I rejoiced after a successful feeding and cried when the girls were having a hard time latching on.
After four days the girls had lost over 10% of their birthweight, so the doctor recommended supplementing formula. I was discouraged, but kept pumping. We rented a hospital pump for month and I pumped after every feeding. I couldn't get them both to latch at the same time, so I'd just nurse one baby, then the other, then pump. With diaper changing, this process usually took about an hour and a half, so I was getting maybe an hour of sleep before the next cycle. After a couple weeks I was still supplementing formula and was only producing 1 or 2 ounces total of breastmilk (newborns need about 2-3 ounces each per feeding). I wanted to give up, but kept trying. I called the lactation consultant every other day, sometimes pumped before and after each feeding, purchased a liquid herbal fenugreek mix called 'more milk plus' (tasted very disgusting bytheway) and still not enough.
It came time to return the rented hospital pump and I thought of giving up again, but the girls were finally latching on so well. I decided to purchase my own double electric pump and by six weeks I was a walking zombie. I needed more sleep! I gave them whatever breastmilk I had pumped in a bottle along with formula and only nursed once or twice a day. I got the girls on the same schedule and I was sleeping 4-5 hours at night. Luckily, the girls were still latching on and by eight weeks I could finally use my twin nursing pillow and nurse them at the same time for a couple feedings per day. My milk supply had increased, but so had their appetite. I was producing about 15-20 ounces per day, but they were consuming about 50-60 ounces total per day.
Finally, around 12 weeks the girls were sleeping 9-10 hours at night and I was starting to feel normal again. I began tandem nursing at every feeding, offering a bottle and then I would pump. Slowly, I noticed they were consuming less and less formula per day. I now only supplement about 10-15 ounces of formula per day, although sometimes I think they don't really need it. I offer it more out of worry because I want to make sure they are full.
So, that's my long tale. Some might ask if it was worth it and for me I have to emphatically say YES! I enjoy nursing for so many reasons. First of all, having my hands free to read a book or use the computer or talk on the phone makes the time fly by. But mostly I enjoy the closeness the three of us are able to experience. I love to play with their hair or have them grab onto my finger. Sometimes, I'll look down to see one or both staring up at me; they'll flash me a goofy grin, then get back to business. And I love when they are just staring at each other. Lately, Lucy will pat or grab onto Audrey's hand for awhile. It's so cute. That is why I heart nursing!
Anyone out there ever use a nursing necklace? Audrey's been getting more and more distracted and pinching me a bit. I really like this one, but I want to know if they've worked for anyone else before I buy one. Thanks for all your comments...isn't blogging fun?
10 comments:
I love this post! I have another friend who is a mom of twins and she nursed them both as well. You people are so awesome! I haven't ever had a nursing necklace, but it sure would've saved the neckline on a lot of my shirts had I had one. You'll have to let us know what you think if you end up getting one.
Go Sara! You are amazing! I loved reading your story! I had a ton of problems figuring out how to nurse Aiden, I can't even imagine doing that with two! You are amazing for sticking it through! If you can do it with two, anyone can do it with one! So cute that they grab hands while nursing! I didn't know they made nursing necklaces, sounds like a good idea though!
I loved nursing too! In fact, I ended up nursing Makayla a lot longer than I thought I would. It is such a neat bonding time between mommy and baby (or babies in your case :) I think that you are so great for not giving up! That is so awesome! Your girls are getting so big and so cute!!!
Sara, I loved reading your story! Thank you for sharing it. I am fortunate (and very very grateful) that I was able to nurse both boys- even though with Brian I was working full time. Clayton is such an avid nurser that he still does not want to give it up . . . but I think I will have to call it quits in the next couple of months. But it is great! WAY TO GO making it work.
Sara, this is only a glimpse of all that you do! Thank you for being an incredible mom to Lucy and Audrey. I love you - german
That's so great! You are super woman!!! I use a nursing bracelet and I love it- it helps me remember what time the last feeding was and which side he started on. I'm not sure that is an issue with twins. =) Lately Caleb has started grabbing it- so that might be less of a problem with a necklace.
Sorry I just realized that your nursing necklace is used differently than my nursing bracelet. It seems like a cool idea though!
You are a super mom. I read recently how only 30 percent of women breastfeed at all these days... you are an inspiration!
Thanks for all your comments, but I fear people might think I've been tooting my own horn. I wrote this more for posterity and for my own recollection. I am no super mom. (I mean really--they are only 4 months!) I have to be honest, my main motivating factor was to save money. Breastmilk is sooo much cheaper than formula and I LOVE a good deal. I think I am just a stubborn masochist or maybe we'll just call it tenacious. But thanks anyway.
Wow, what an amazing story Sara! You are such a dedicated mommy! I loved nursing as well, but it sure was painful for me at first. You had it a lot harder than I did though! I have never heard of a nursing necklace, but I like the one on your link. What a good idea. Don't worry, I didn't think you sounded like you were bragging at all, no one that knows you would think so.
Post a Comment